Find Federico on MastodonFind John on MastodonFind Alex on MastodonFind Club MacStories on Mastodon

App Debuts

APP DEBUTS

Noteworthy new app releases and updates, handpicked by the MacStories team.

GoodTask

Just in time for Automation April, GoodTask – my Reminders client of choice – received a big update to version 7.0 that has completely reimagined the app’s integration with Shortcuts.

All previous Shortcuts actions have been deprecated and replaced by modern actions that support parameters and picking lists of items directly inside Shortcuts. For example, there’s a new ‘Open List’ action that lets you choose any of your existing regular or smart lists to open in GoodTask; you can also expand the acton to choose the view you want to load the selected list in. There’s a new ‘Get Task’ action to retrieve reminders from GoodTask with support for filtering by list, which you can tie to other Shortcuts actions like ‘Choose from List’. The most impressive integration, however, is support for Quick Actions in Shortcuts: any of your GoodTask quick actions can now run inside a shortcut, processing the selected task in the background without launching GoodTask. This even applies if a quick action involves a selection prompt: in that case, you’ll be able to select a prompt value (like, say, a day) as a parameter in Shortcuts beforehand; when the quick action runs, instead of choosing from the prompt like you’d normally do in the GoodTask app, the pre-selected value will be set immediately.

GoodTask developer Hanbum Kim has found a terrific way to bridge GoodTask’s existing structure with the world of visual actions in Shortcuts, and I have some ideas for GoodTask-based shortcuts I want to create already.

This story is for Club MacStories, Club MacStories+, and Club Premier members only.

Join the Club and get access now.

Already a member? Sign in