Find Federico on MastodonFind John on MastodonFind Alex on MastodonFind Club MacStories on Mastodon

Member Requests

SHORTCUTS CORNER

Get help and suggestions for your iOS shortcuts and productivity apps.

Member Requests

Question: I want to start reading one book a week and one of the things I’d like to know is how many pages I need to read every single day and where I need to add bookmarks in preparation before I start reading. I would like to create a shortcut that asks me ‘How many pages are in this book?’, takes that number, and divides it by 7 (days in a week), so I can know the page number where I need to place the bookmarks depending on how many pages there are. (Óscar , @oscar_morillon)

To build this shortcut, I took advantage of Shortcuts’ built-in support for lists, repeat loops, and mathematic operations. The core idea is exactly what you described: given a total number of pages, the shortcut divides them by 7, then loops through each day of the week and advances the page count accordingly. At the end of the shortcut, you’ll be presented with a list of days and pages in an alert, which is also copied to the clipboard so you can paste it elsewhere.

This story is for Club MacStories, Club MacStories+, and Club Premier members only.

Join the Club and get access now.

Already a member? Sign in