Find Federico on MastodonFind John on MastodonFind Alex on MastodonFind Club MacStories on Mastodon

App Debuts

APP DEBUTS

Noteworthy new app releases and updates, handpicked by the MacStories team.

Ice Cubes

As I posted yesterday, if you love indie apps, this is a great time to be on Mastodon. Free of the limitations and concerns of the Twitter API, developers are experimenting again with different takes on displaying a home timeline and the whole scene gives me 2009-2012 Twitter vibes when innovation in third-party clients was all over the place. Ice Cubes, created by Thomas Ricouard, is one of the latest entries in this space and it’s got a feature I particularly like: the ability to pin other instances’ local timelines and quickly access them with a tap from the app’s main title bar. The idea behind this feature is that if you find all posts from people on a different instance (their “local” timeline) interesting and would like a fast way to read those posts, this pinning feature of Ice Cubes lets you do just that. Other clients implemented this functionality before Ice Cubes, but I like how Ricouard’s app lets you switch between timelines from the title bar on iPhone. This is a great system to read all posts from the MacStories local instance, for example.

This story is for Club MacStories, Club MacStories+, and Club Premier members only.

Join the Club and get access now.

Already a member? Sign in