Find Federico on MastodonFind John on MastodonFind Alex on MastodonFind Club MacStories on Mastodon

App Debuts

APP DEBUTS

Noteworthy new app releases and updates, handpicked by the MacStories team.

Movie Tracker

Simone Montalto, the developer of longtime MacStories favorite Book Track, has launched a new app called Movie Tracker. As the name suggests, the app is designed for keeping track of movies and TV shows you want to watch. There’s no shortage of this kind of utilities on the App Store, but there are a few features that set Movie Tracker apart and make the app worth a try.

For starters, Movie Tracker is consistent with Simone’s previous work and shares a lot of common elements and interactions with the excellent Book Track. These are native, Universal apps that sync with iCloud, have Shortcuts integration, plenty of widgets to choose from, SwiftUI-powered charts to keep track of statistics, and other features that make them great platform citizens on iPhone, iPad, and Mac. For some people, the fact that Movie Tracker doesn’t sync with the popular Trakt.tv service may be an issue, which is why I’m mentioning it here. The other aspect of Movie Tracker I find fascinating is the organizational system based on tags and spaces. A space is, essentially, an area of your life for which a certain TV show or movie may be well suited. For example, you can have a space for shows you want to watch with your spouse, those you want to see with the kids, and others you just want to watch on your own. As someone who has long thought of media as “for me” and “for me and Silvia”, this feature seems to have been made exactly for me. Despite my years of data logged in Trakt, I think I’m going to be giving Movie Tracker a try because this approach resonates with me, and also because – as we mentioned in the PSA this week – it could be useful to create a dedicated space for the Club Discord’s AV Club watch sessions.

This story is for Club MacStories, Club MacStories+, and Club Premier members only.

Join the Club and get access now.

Already a member? Sign in